An open meeting will be taking place for anyone interested in ways in which people in the Rushden area can support refugees, including through local charities and by potentially providing accommodation within East Northamptonshire. This follows a recent training event by Citizens UK of some volunteers from Wellingborough and Rushden, and the public meeting held by the East Northants Faith Group last Autumn.
- Update on recent Citizens UK training, and the growing group of volunteers at Wellingborough
- Supporting and promoting the work of Jungle Care and Helpful Humans in providing practical help, both locally and in the Calais area
- Fostering unaccompanied refugee children
- Encouraging any churches or other groups wanting to take part in the Community Sponsorship scheme to house/support one or more families, subject to the consent of county and district councils
- Encouraging individual landlords to provide housing. subject to the consent of county and district councils
- Supporting Caroline Gregory’s ongoing work in the Calais area (Caroline is a Calais Action volunteer from Rushden)
- Next steps – e.g. quarterly meetings and Facebook/email as a way of keeping in touch?