An open meeting will be taking place for anyone interested in ways in which people in the Rushden area can support refugees, including through local charities and by potentially providing accommodation within East Northamptonshire.
This will be taking place at the Bridge, in the grounds of Whitefriars Junior School , Boughton Drive , Rushden , NN10 9HX , from 7.30pm on Thursday 24th November. All are welcome.
This follows a recent training event by Citizens UK of some volunteers from Wellingborough and Rushden, and the public meeting held by the East Northants Faith Group last Autumn.
– Update on recent Citizens UK training of welcoming refugees, and the growing group of volunteers in Wellingborough: suggestion that work in the Rushden area is co-ordinated by a team within this wider ‘umbrella’
– Supporting and promoting the work of Jungle Care and Helpful Humans in providing practical help, both locally and in the Calais area
– Supporting the refugee family currently living in Rushden
– Fostering unaccompanied refugee children (including a summary of points covered by Home for Good at the meeting at World Mandate Ministries at Clopton last week)
– Encouraging any churches or other groups wanting to take part in the Community Sponsorship scheme to house/support one or more families, subject to the consent of county and district councils
– Encouraging individual landlords to provide housing. subject to the consent of county and district councils
– Supporting Caroline Gregory’s ongoing work in the Calais area (Caroline is a Calais Action volunteer from Rushden)
– Next steps – e.g. quarterly meetings and Facebook/email as a way of keeping in touch?